Friday, August 13, 2010

Two days at Knit Camp

The last two days have been fibre-crazy. I finally took a class at Knit Camp. On Thursday I took a Nordic Color class with Nancy Bush. The class started with some information about the cultural, historical, and fiber traditions of Estonia. This was obviously something she was really passionate about.

She taught us a really neat cast-on, and then the Estonian color technique. It's like embroidery, but with knitting.

My tension is pretty crap, and my needle size was too big (or rather it was the correct size, I just knit super loose) so I'm not too happy with the way it looks, but I still enjoyed the class. If you get the opportunity to take a class with her you should, she was lovely teacher - very enthusiastic and nice.

This morning I took a yarn dyeing class with Deb Tomkies. I had done kettle dyeing with natural dyes in the past, and played with kool aid dyeing a few times, but I was never really comfortable with hand-painting.

Here's a blury pic of the two skeins I did:
And here's the amazing yarns the class did:!


After the dyeing class I went over to the marketplace. The number of booths there was overwhelming! I passed by Annie Modesitt and Debbie Stoller, but I was too shy to talk to them. And then, after spending too much money, I sat down with some other knitters and continued working on the Jaywalker socks. So it was a lovely day.





I hear Jess and Cass are doing an Edinburgh meet-up thing, so might have an exciting knitting day tomorrow too! I hope you had a nice few days too.

2 comments:

  1. knit camp sounds like great fun! and thankyou for commenting on my fan dabby dozy curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your yarns are lovely. Dyeing (and getting the colors right) is harder than it looks. I'm a bit more interested than I used to be, so maybe I'll take a class one day. Glad to hear you enjoyed Nancy Bush's class. I'm not sure if I'm detailed enough to enjoy Estonian knitting, though.

    ReplyDelete