Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dabbling Wednesday

This week I decided to do some macrame. I wanted something simple, something that I could do on a train (more on that tomorrow). Fortunately I saw this video:



There's also a much easier to understand non-video explanation.

I made mine with wool:

I'm planning on felting it, hoping that it will make an interesting sturdy cord and not some weird twisted red thing.

Something they didn't really get into in the video is the length of the string. My laniard ended up being 8 inches long but started off as two pieces of 52 inch yarn.

The two side pieces of string are almost used up, while the two center pieces still have about 17 inches left.

Here's my late-night attempt at math:

So the next time I do one of these (I think I'm going to try incorporating some beads next time) I'm going to find out the desired length, multiple that number by 3.5, then add the length again to get the final length of each piece of string (When tying it on I'll make the center two sections only a little longer than the end desired length).

I hope that's right. And I hope that's useful to you if you decide to make one.

As for me, I've had a long day and I'm going to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment