Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pot of gold

Last week I finally decided to stop being such a miser and fork over some money for something fun - equipment so I can start dyeing yarn again! Even though I'm going to only be working with "natural" (an odd phrase) substances I still needed new pots colanders, etc, since you're not supposed to use equipment that will also be used for cooking since natural doesn't always mean safe or nontoxic.

I had done some dyeing a few years ago, in the good old yarn store days, but hadn't done any fun experiments since moving to England.

Here the tumeric is brewin'.
And one of the finished outcomes.

This is English Ivy, not at all what I expected. It's a very subtle color. I'm not even sure how to describe the color. Butter? Tan? I think I'll just stick to calling it "pretty".
Butter yarn

Tomorrow I'll be trying out logwood (had to purchase that dye), which in theory will result in a blue, and then with the exhaust dye I'll be overdyeing two of the tumeric skeins and, possibly(?), make a green! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment