Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wheel and Heel

Today I willingly left the warm flat and sat on a bus for half an hour to sit with a bunch of strangers.

Weird, eh.

But this wasn't just any bunch of strangers, this was a guild of Spinners, Weavers, and Dyers, and I went because I really wanted to learn to use a spinning wheel. My reluctant teacher ended up being someone, a Canadian funny enough, who was new to the guild and I think mainly came to socialize but somehow got stuck teaching me instead. I felt kind of bad, but after giving her several attempts to back out of someone else's nomination that she teach me, I resigned us both to our fates. I did end up getting the hang of it, after what felt like a long while, I'm just really glad I knew how to drop spindle first or I might have gotten discouraged. After more or less getting the hang of spinning and giving the wheel back to its owner : ) and, while asking a lot of questions from a very helpful and friendly spinner sitting next to me, I started on this:

It's a Jaywalker in self-striping Sockotta, one of the many old yarn store yarns which I purchased from dad when I went back home because all the leftover yarns were being stored in my room and the tubs of yarn were the last things I would see before going to bed. I tried to ignore them, but at the last moment they somehow ended up in my suitcase.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I thought you two had come together and were friends! (Must have been the accents that confused me, lol.) And I didn't want to interfere with her teaching you. Otherwise I'd have helped out more because I am one of the guild members that does the most teaching of newbies.
    NeXt time, eh??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we didn't come together. We just happened to both be from North America : ) But you were very helpful!

    ReplyDelete