Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Black Creepy Rider

On Saturday I went to see a performance of The Black Rider at the Ahmanson. The play is directed by Robert Wilson, who's famous in England for his original and unconventional plays, written by William S Burroughs (who based the story on German Folklore), with music by Tom Waits. Combine those three together and you have one trippy play. I had actually seen it in San Francisco two years ago (that cast was better) but even with a second viewing it was still bizarre. I had bought 2 tickets for my sister for her birthday, since she can appreciate the stranger things in life, thinking that she and her boyfriend would go. But, her boyfriend is so anti-snob (a form of snobbery, if you ask me (but he is a nice guy)) that he refused to go. In any case, if you have the chance, go see it. The directing, stage design, music, etc, all blended into a perfect and unsettling performance. But if you do go see it, forget everything I said! It will probably be best if you're surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment