Friday, January 27, 2006

Earnest

Jessamy and I saw the Importance of Being Earnest at the Ahmonson yesterday. I had seen the play one other time at the Mills College drama department (which, sadly, the administration killed... "Hmmm, we don't have enough money at our college, should we cut back on expenses, perhaps paying back the money the college spent on my Lexus? No, lets get rid of a department, preferably one of the staples of a liberal arts education." "What about the drama department? There isn't any tenured professers in the drama department, they all quit out of frustration and anger." "Brilliant! we have enough drama in our life anyway." That has been a dramatic reinactment of the sh*t that happened my senior year at Mills).

My favorite quote from the play:
"To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

All the acting was superb, particularly Robert Petkoff who played an adorable Algy (but only got 6th billing! the nerve). Petkoff reminded me a little of Eddie Izzard (one of the funniest people on the planet, and now "available" on iTunes).

In June the Ahmonson will be showing Black Rider, which I saw in San Francisco. It was written by someone who's name I should remember, and music my Tom Waits. Very cool. I buying my sister tickets for her birthday, I suggest you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment